Sabbath September 29, 2012 - "Forgiveness"
Mat 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Mat 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
Mat 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
Mat 18:28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
Mat 18:29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
Mat 18:31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Mat 18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
Mat 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.
· The pardoning king here represented our Loving, Merciful, Compassionate, and Sympathetic Elder Brother Jesus Christ.
2. Mat 10:8 “: freely ye have received, freely give.”
· Do as we would want others to do unto us.
3. Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
· We ask our Lord to apply and give us the same share of forgiveness as we share to others.
4. Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
· If we harbor and unforgiving spirit our Father will not apply that grace of forgiveness to us.
5. Joh 4:11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
· We ought to be like Him and pass that very same love to others and forgive others as well.
6. Psa 130:7 Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
· Our Lord has given us that free gift of grace.
7. Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
· If you don’t manifest the gift of a forgiving spirit you don’t belong to Christ.
8. Psa 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
Psa 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
Psa 51:13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
· Freely give in forgiving.
9. Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
· Be very careful that you judge others without examining your own guilty ways. Our Judge will bring those times into that day of reckoning.
10. Luk 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
· In our Saviours last hours He asks His Father to forgive their iniquities.
· The strength of Christ is our only strength in these hours of deep trials.
· Paul caused great despair and death to many Christians in his past, yet our Lord used Him to be a leader among men and carry His light to the world. Paul was forgiven.
· The cowardly act by Peter of rejecting the One who poured out to him so much divine inspiration was also forgiven of his cowardly character and act.
· Joseph the son of Jacob was sold by his brothers into slavery. Joseph when confronted with these same brothers that sold him into slavery that could not even identify him after a long period of time Joseph was merciful unto them, as he saw their fruit of repentance. Joseph forgave them.
· Jacob their father forgave his sons for their deceit in telling the tale of Josephs so called death.
11. Luk 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
Luk 17:4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.
· Keep pouring out that same grace to your brethren.
· We need to call upon our heavenly Saviour so that our mind should be filled with His Spirit.
12.Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
· Have your mind in a heavenly character.
13. Rev 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still:
· When probation closes all those not willing to forgive, all those who were unmerciful, and all those who showed no mercy will have those character traits still and will have bonded those traits in having them revealed in heaven in that day of Judgment.
· Confess your sins today and forgive those who have done you wrong.
14.1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
· Understanding He is our Substitute without also understanding He is also our example would leave us a hearer, and not a doer. We have a Pattern to follow in forgiving. Follow the example He left for us.