Sabbath, April 28, 2012 - "Why hast thou forsaken me"
Based on Matthew 27:46
1. Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
· Was Jesus forsaken by His Father?
· What is sin?
2. 1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
· So sin is to transgress the law of God.
3. Rom 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death;
· When we break His law we deserve death.
4. Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
· What separates you from God?
5. Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
· Sin is the separating act and barrier which prevents you to be with God.
· The cross of Christ closes that gulf that sin created.
6. Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
· At this hours Jesus was bearing all the sins of the world upon His bruised body.
· When did all this suffering begin?
7. Mat 26:45 Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
· At this hour our Father lifted His Hand of protection from His dear Son
· Please note: Jesus was NOT a sinner, but just became sin for the human race. (Sin offering)
8. 2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
9. Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
10.Luk 23:44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
· That final wound would be of a broken heart, and caused His cry, as Jesus could no longer see the face of His Father.
· The anguish of the separation from His Father pierced Jesus heart.
· Sin separates you from God, and Jesus felt what eternal separation is in those hours.
· Story of a young woman
· Young woman = Israel
· Messenger = John Baptist
· Good News = Gospel
· Father = Heavenly Father
· Donor = Big Brother (Jesus)
· Letter = The Word (Bible)
· Comforted = (The Holy Spirit)
11. Luk 23:44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. (also see Mat 27:45-46), ( Mar 15:33-34).
· Why was darkness over all the earth?
· From the 6th to the 9th hour there was darkness over the entire earth.
· His Word declares to us that God is a consuming fire.
12. 1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
13. Exo 33:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
14. Psa 104:2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:
15. Heb 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire. (also see Rev 22:5)
· Amidst all the darkness the Father came down from heaven to be with His dear Son Jesus in those last hours.
16. Psa 18:6 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears
17. Psa 18:11 He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.
18.Psa 18:7 Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth.
Psa 18:8 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.
Psa 18:9 He bowed the heavens also, and came down: and darkness was under his feet.
Psa 18:10 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind.
19. Psa 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Psa 22:17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
Psa 22:18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
· These passages in Psalms are referring to Jesus last hours upon the cross.
· Just as HE did not forsake His Son, He will not forsake any of us today who come to Him, trust in Him, and abide in His Love.
20. 2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
21. Psa 37:25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.
22. Psa 37:28 For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off. :29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.
23. Psa 89:28 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him. :29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven. :30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments; :31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; :32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
24. Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.