Sabbath, February 25, 2011 - "The Kingdom of God" part 2
· Looking further into scripture you will notice Jesus also sent His disciples to preach the very same thing in preaching the kingdom of God.
1. Luk 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.
Luk 9:2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick. (Also see Matt 10:7-8)
· The disciples were sent to perform the call showing the kingdom of grace upon all who were in need.
· Also later to seventy He sent them to accomplish the very same deeds.
2. Luk 10:1 After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
3. Luk 10:8 And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:
Luk 10:9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
Jesus also taught to individual disciples.
4. Luk 9:59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
Luk 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
Luk 9:61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
Luk 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
· We should never put God second over our earthly matters.
· Our Lord is not saying to forsake your family, but to put His work first, and tend to personal matters later.
· Put aside personal feelings for God, and for His church, or else Jesus says in Luke 9:62 you are not fit for the kingdom of God.
Jesus taught after His death and resurrection
5. Act 1:3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
6. Act 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
· And after Jesus ascension the very work and grace went forth in preaching and in healing everywhere. The disciples went everywhere doing the will of the Lord.
7. Act 5:16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.
· Notice Paul would continue to expound on the Kingdom from the morning to the evening.
8. Act 28:23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.
· So we see the work continuing through the disciples and apostles, and that it did not end with Christ ascension, but continues in all the world in order for the end to come.
· Below In John chapter 3 we will begin to see a Pharisee named Nicodemus privately seeking the attention of Jesus in secret at night as he believed Jesus was only a teacher sent from God, and not the long awaited Messiah.
9. Joh 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
Joh 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
· A spiritual regeneration must take place in order to have a new heart.
· The Holy Spirit transforming the old character into a new creature is what is needed. The natural man cannot discern the things of God, as the carnal mind is enmity against God.
· His divine Spirit purifies the heart, it purifies the mind.
10. Psa 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
· The Holy Spirit will allow our thoughts to come into obedience in Christ Jesus. By this changing of heart and mind to the image of Jesus, this is how our dear Saviour writes His laws upon our hearts and mind.
11. Psa 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.
Mothers bringing their children to Jesus
12. Mar 10:13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.
Mar 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Mar 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
· Today when we offer prayers for our children, we know through faith He has the power to bless, just as Jesus blessed those that came for a blessing. Are not mothers today to continue in offering their children to Jesus?
· We have a responsibility to ask for His Divine grace and protection upon our children even before they can walk or speak.
· It’s our Christian duty today to give our children all possible advantages of the lessons of His divine Word, so that they are educated in the spiritual things of God.
· We need to offer those prayers that they will be trained up to form characters that reflect the very image of our dear Saviour.
13. Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
· Parents reflect Christ in your daily life for your children to see. Be patient with them as Christ is with us.
A parable about the Kingdom of Heaven
14. Mat 13:45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Mat 13:46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.
The entire Godhead needed for your salvation
15. Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. (That name is “Jesus”)
16. Joh 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
17. Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
18. Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
19. Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
20. Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Rom 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
21. Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.